Athletic Field Turf Management Resources

Asked November 7, 2017, 7:55 AM EST

I am helping out with the local youth soccer teams' fields (community/school fields), and wanted to know if there were any resources available to help guide me with off season maintenance. We plan on core aerating and over seeding at the end of this season, and before next season starts in the spring. There are severe wear areas that need to be filled on the fields...is there a specific soil mix that should be used? Is there a grass seed that holds up better in Maryland to the heavy use on the fields? I am trying to avoid using any types of fertilizer as most of these fields are very close to the Bay watershed. Is there a soil amendment (top soil, peat moss, sand, compost, leaf gro) that we should look into top dressing the fields with to help with drainage on the fields? Is there a specific source for these materials that you can recommend? I am trying to avoid any type of chemical usage if possible since the kids use these fields on almost a daily basis for school activities and soccer practices/games. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Thank you for contacting eXtension. Your local Extension office should be able to help you with these questions:

Anne Arundel County
97 Dairy Lane
Gambrills, MD 21054

Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

Phone: (410) 222-3900
Email: ckneipp@umd.edu