What type of spider is this??

Asked November 7, 2017, 12:18 AM EST

I have been finding these all over my house lately. I live in Oregon. I am thinking giant house spider, but not 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated as I have a 3 year old granddaughter and don't want her bitten.

Douglas County Oregon spider identification

Thank you for including the images with your inquiry. They are grass spiders, Agelenopsis species, and are not dangerous. It’s true that children are inquisitive and may want to play with insects or spiders. But a friendly voice suggesting “Let’s look at this spider, but not touch it” is often helps the child understand the wildlife that surrounds us. (See Grass Spiders.)

Grass spiders normally prowl the garden and landscape, but now and then, some come indoors, especially during the fall. You can help prevent their entry with weather-stripping around doors and windows. Another helpful strategy is to create a clear zone of 12 to 18 inches between plants and the external walls of the house.