We planted a hinoki Cypress earlier this year. It did great even through this...

We planted a hinoki Cypress earlier this year. It did great even through this very hot summer and was very happy until a couple weeks ago. It started turning very yellow around the base of most of the branches. I've included a couple of photos to show this. Does anyone know what could be causing this yellowing color? My only thought is potentially that with these heavy rains that the clay soil maybe is too compacted. I am not sure what, if anything I can do to make it better. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Multnomah County Oregon

This looks to be normal for these types of plants. I found this article from Michigan http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/dying_and_falling_needles_on_evergreens_is_a_natural_process_in_the_fal...

that this is really normal, particularly since the tips look very healthy (and good job keeping the plant going through the summer!) I can't tell from your picture but I'm hoping there is a ring around the base of your tree of at least three to four feet in diameter. You do not want your tree to be competing too much with the grass, or have potential damage at the base of the trunk.

Thank you so much for your quick response! That article was very helpful and this has put my mind at ease. I was worried about losing this beautiful tree!

The base of the tree does not have as much space around the trunk as you have indicated. There was, but the grass has taken over there. I will clear out the area around the trunk tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help!