mint mildew on already picked mint leaves

Asked November 3, 2017, 6:16 PM EDT

I did not know what the white powdery substance was on my mint leaves. I picked all of the leaves whether they had the powdery substance on them or not can they still be eaten? I washed them and have them out drying now do I need to just throw them away

Wyoming mint mint problem

Hello, they are most likely fungal spores, so it would be best not to eat the leaves. You may want to talk to your local Extension Agriculture Educator to learn about ways to prevent this in the future.

I definitely will not eat them but I would like to know if I clean them can I use them to make like essential oil or boil them to put them in a spray for rodents?

I know how to prevent it for next year for sure and I will definitely take the steps to do that. My husband started out with just one little plant that he said he was going to plant and I laughed at him but he ended up with four pots that was so huge and when I would go out and mow the lawn or my son was out there we grab one and two on it it had no white powdery and when it started getting cold because I hadn't picked them yet I had taken the pots into my garage and at first they did not have the powdery white substance and the longer I waited 2 clip them the powdery substance begin to appear. I did not know it was so I still finally clip them until I tasted one it tasted gross. I will not use any of the leaves even though some of them didn't have them because I put them all together I don't want to use any of them but I was wondering if they are still useful for something besides eating such as making a bug spray

I would not use the leaves for essential oil or rodent spray as you could be inhaling mold spores. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any safe use for the leaves!

Okay great information and thank you very much. I look forward to next year. I will definitely make sure that I pick and freeze them a lot earlier instead of just leaving them until I have time. Thank you very much for taking time to answer my question