Baked Goods and Elevation

Asked November 3, 2017, 4:06 PM EDT

I live in San Francisco, CA -- elevation is 52ft .
I baked cakes in San Francisco and transported them to Lake Tahoe, elevation is 6,225 ft.
My cakes always are moist....by the time they reached Lake Tahoe they became dry. How can I fix that or can I?
Also, what happens to baked cookies in the same scenario?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!
Corinne Brown

San Francisco County California food preparation

Hello.
At high altitudes, there is lower atmospheric pressure, or air pressure, which changes the temperature at which water boils and how quickly leavening gases expand.
Because water boils at lower temperatures, moisture evaporates quicker and can leave baked goods dry. Since you are baking at a lower altitude and transporting to a higher altitude, packaging may play a part and the lower air pressure is pulling the moisture out of your product. I would recommend trying to find air tight packaging for transporting the product. The same would apply to transport of any baked good. Hope this helps and thanks for using eXtension.