Crock pot pork shoulder roast

Asked November 3, 2017, 12:13 PM EDT

How long should I cook 10-12 lbs of pork in a crock pot? How full can I fill it? With other roast, like beef or chicken, I fill it 1/2 to 3/4 Thanks for your time :)

Multnomah County Oregon food safety food preparation

I hope you have a really large crock pot for that big a piece of pork. They usually recommend filling the slow cookers 1/2 -3/4 full. so that is the guideline I would use for your pork roast. Depending on what you plan to do with your roast will determine how long to cook it. If you are making pulled pork then you will want it very done so you can pull it. If you want to serve it in chunks like a roast then cook it less so it doesn't fall apart. With that much meat I would probably start it on high for an hour or so to get the meat heated a little faster and then turn the cooker to a low setting to slow cook it. It will probably take at least 10 hours to cook that much meat and maybe longer for pulled pork. I would start testing the meat after about 10 hours to see how it is cooking. Don't take the lid off too often, it cools really fast so you will increase the cooking time.

Slow cooking has many variables, size of pot, quantity of meat, added ingredients, temperature of meat when put into the pot, and whether it is browned or not. I am pretty sure it will take at least 10 hours to cook. If you need to speed it up you can use the high setting for part of the cooking to be sure the large quantity of meat gets heated through more quickly. Good Luck

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler