Transplanting

Hi I am selling my house this fall and will not buy a new one until spring. Is there a way I can take my rhubarb plant and my shrub rose with me? Do I need to temporally put them in the ground somewhere or can I somehow put them in a pot over winter? Thanks Vicki

Hennepin County Minnesota overwintering containers rhubarb winter care shrub rose horticulture

Thank you for the question. It would be best if you can dig the plants up ASAP and plant them somewhere else for the winter. Water and mulch well because they won't have time to establish before winter. This is preferable to putting them in pots because the ground is a much better insulator for the roots and protects them from harmful cycles of freezing and thawing. A pot provides much less protection-even if you mulch over it well and put it in a protected spot. Read about more techniques here: http://web.extension.illinois.edu/abhps/weeklyag/141029.html

Thank you for contacting Extension.