It's that time of year! Do I let the leaves lay in the beds or blow them out? Mulch them [with the mower] into the lawn or blow them clear? Just asking in the event the opinions have changed... as they do regularly in the world of health :) Thanks,
Baltimore County Maryland
It is a good idea to leave the leaves in your beds. It is a source of free mulch and provides winter cover for pollinators and other invertebrates.
- Here are more ideas for dealing with fallen tree leaves:
- Shred them with a mulching lawnmower and leave them in place (as long as they don’t completely cover your grass.)
- Shred them and add them to your compost pile.
- Cover your garden soil with shredded leaves.
- Use them to mulch perennials, trees, and shrubs.
- Run them over with a mulching mower, bag them up and use them as a mulch next year.