Main Whisteria Root - Can it be cut?

I need to replant my whisteria and just discovered that the main root has grown through the bottom of the old pot and into the ground. Can I cut it so that I can replant it without harming it? I have a picture if that helps. Thanks for the help - I love this thing and don’t want to loose it. Kristine

Whatcom County Washington wisteria

Dear Client,

A most unfortunate situation! I am afraid that if you cut that taproot, the plant will die. Wisteria can be propagated via hardwood cutting, softwood cuttings, or seed; however, specimens grown from seed can take decades to bloom. If the plant most go consider starting anew with a cutting especially if your plant was a good bloomer. Do not hesitate to contact your local Master Gardener Program in Whatcom County for instructions on how to start a new wisteria from cuttings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisteria

WSU Whatcom County Extension • 1000 N. Forest St., Bellingham, WA 98225 • (360) 778-5800 • whatcom@wsu.edu. Ask for Beth or for a Master Gardener volunteer.

Hope this helps!