Smoked Tomatillo Salsa

I found this awesome recipe for smoked tomatillo salsa and I would love to can it but the author didn't have any information on how to do that. The recipe does contain cider vinegar. I will try to post the recipe below this question. Can you tell me if I can home can this recipe, or if I need to add or change anything to properly preserve it? When I made it, I doubled everything EXCEPT the vinegar and I eliminated the salt that was recommended at the end (just salted the tomatillos when I put them on the smoker), and it tasted amazing.

INGREDIENTS
  • 6 tomatillos, outer casing removed
  • ½ cup shallots, diced (can also use red onion)
  • ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 handful of cilantro, chopped (about ¼ cup packed)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • Freshly cracked pepper
  • Water, as needed
INSTRUCTIONS
Report this ad
To smoke the tomatillos:
  1. Preheat smoker to 275 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Rinse tomatillos, and cut into quarters. Place onto a sheet pan and lightly sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt and freshly cracked pepper over the tomatillos.
  3. Place tomatillos onto smoker for 90 minutes or until they look soft and roasted.
  4. Remove from smoker.
To make the salsa:
  1. Place the smoked tomatillos and any juices into a blender or mixer while still hot. Add diced shallots, apple cider vinegar, cilantro, 1 teaspoon salt and mix.
  2. For less acidity, add water until desired flavor, for more acidity add more apple cider vinegar in small quantities.
  3. Serve over your favorite sausages, or meats.

Larimer County Colorado home food preservation tomatillos salsa

We cannot recommend home canning of any non-tested recipe. I do know by reviewing the ingredients and amounts that there is not enough acid in this recipe to make the product shelf stable by home canning. It's clear that this recipe is designed for fresh eating. My advise is to make the recipe and then freeze the product.

Thank you.