Canning applesauce

I noticed, after the water bath, that I had overfilled a jar of applesauce.It seems to have sealed but has sauce on outside of jar. The process was 2 weeks ago. Is it still okay to eat and if so should I keep it in the frig. Till I open it?

Clatsop County Oregon food safety home food preservation

As long as the jar stays sealed it is ok to eat. I would use it first however because sometimes it comes unsealed if a little apple sauce got between the lid and the rim of the jar.

This sometimes happen if the jars are filled too full or the water is boiling too hard during processing. Also it is now recommended to wait 5 minutes after the processing time is finished and canner removed from heat, to remove the jars. This will help equalize the temperature in the canner and the jars so the jars do not experience extreme change in temperature when taken out of the boiling water canner, which often causes siphoning.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert and enjoy your apple sauce.

Nellie Oehler