tomatillos

I have an abundance of tomatillos in my garden. I wanted to can them. Most recipes call for lemon juice to be added to acidify. May I use limes?

Washington County Oregon tomatillos

Thanks for your question about the necessary acids for canning. Here's a link to some salsa recipes for tomatillos, which says this (page 3) about the acid:

"Acids
The acid ingredients used in salsa help preserve it. The addition of acid to salsa recipes for canning is necessary because the natural level of acidity may not be adequate for safety. Commonly used acids in home canning are vinegar, lemon and lime juices. Lemon and lime juices are more acidic than vinegar, but have less effect on flavor. Use only vinegar that is at least 5% acid and only bottled lemon and lime juices. Never use homemade vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice because the level of acidity is variable and could result in an unsafe canned product."

You'll find the 'safe' adjustments that can be made to recipes on page 4 of this article, along with canning tips and some great recipes! Hope you find it helpful.