Zoning Permits & Right to Farm Act

Asked October 23, 2017, 11:16 AM EDT

I have been told that under the RTFA (actually state construction code), the farmer does not have to get a building permit but is subject to a zoning permit. I am the Zoning Administrator for Clam Lake Twp in Wexford County and heard a farmer is expanding a milking parlor. Just want to verify if a zoning permit can be required under RTF. Thanks. Cindy Warda

Wexford County Michigan

2 Responses

Thank you for your question. I expect to have an answer for you shortly. I have never heard of the situation you describe so I am checking with a couple of sources.

As a follow up, the information that I was provided does confirm your opinion in that a building permit is not required but the new construction is subject to a zoning permit.