Are these berries poisonous

Asked October 19, 2017, 1:30 PM EDT

I work at an elementary school and five of our students just ate berries off a tree on the playground. There are not showing any symptoms, but we are trying to identify the tree. Pictures of the tree and a close up of leaves/berries are attached. Brenda Anderson 952-988-3500

Hennepin County Minnesota plant identification

1 Response

Thank you for the question. Without seeing the fruits in more detail we can can't be sure but the tree is probably a variety of ornamental crabapple with tiny fruits. Fruits from ornamental crabapple trees are not poisonous, they just don't taste good.

Calling poison control immediately would be the recommended course of action if you ever suspect there is a chance of a child ingesting something poisonous, even if you don't know what it is. Here is the number and website:
1-800-222-1222

Thank you for contacting Extension.