Manhattan euonymous

I have next to front windows 2

,six ft wide and 4ft high shrubs that are 24 yrs old.Full sun .These shrubs have taken on the last 2 yrs an abnormal shape in that it has developed open areas in the front and has really bellied out front to back. Refer to aerial photo to see extent of ballooning outward. This shrub grows very fast VERTICALLY in growing season. I prune once a week. The past 2yrs it has these sparse areas .Can I do a severe pruning this fall or is it getting old and spindly. I would like to a) reduce ht 12” b) Cut the bulging belly outout excess out completely

Anne Arundel County Maryland pruning shrub manhatten euonymus

The time frame to prune is before spring growth. It can be sheared in mid season if desired. Now is not a good time to prune as pruning encourages new growth which can be damaged by winter. Take a look at our publication for tips on pruning hedges
http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG84_Pruning%20ornam...