Japanese Beetles

The Japanese beetles made lace of the leaves, but the apples on the Honey Crisp tree grew sorta ok. But the apples are inedible as they also are laced inside with black lines. Not like worm lines, but like ink. Some were partially nibbled by the squirrels and birds, but even the critters wouldn't eat much. I was just going to take them to the St. Paul garden dump to get rid of them. What can I do to prevent that kind of a crop in 2018? I understand the "babies" are now in the soil under the branches. Is that accurate and if so, what should I do about them and when?

Ramsey County Minnesota

Unfortunately apples are the target of many insect pests. You probably are describing Apple Maggot damage. Sanitation is a large part of prevention but that alone will not stop the damage. Here is a link to information on Apple Maggot. At the bottom of the page there also is a link to other pests. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/apple-pest-management/maggot/