tulips

Can I grow tulips in pots, provided they are deep enough. I am concerned about the winter freeze

Deschutes County Oregon container gardening tulips

Thanks for your question about container gardening with bulbs in Central Oregon. First, I'll provide you a link to a short article about planting bulbs, in general, with suggestions about the depth bulbs need to be in the soil. As you can see, you're going to need to dig pretty deep (or have a large potting container) so this relatively large bulb has enough root space. Second, to analyze whether the bulbs will survive in freezing temperatures, we'd need to know what USDA zone you live in. (This is the historical average lowest temperature range your area has had. Deschutes County varies from 4b to 6b.) As this article explains, if you are as low as zone 5, you'll need to protect your bulbs-in-pots, and it's recommended even if in zone 6. Although they need to be watered over the winter (drainage is important!), the freezing temperatures may kill the bulbs. Here's another article with a different explanation, but the same concepts.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck!