Low grow sumac

We live in Kandiyoho County and have low-grow sumac planted on a hill. The plants are 3-4 years old and look green and healthy. They are watered from a lawn sprinkling system so receive plenty of moisture. However, they have yet to change color. What would be the reason they maintain their green leaves instead of changing color in the fall? Thank you for your help!

Kandiyohi County Minnesota

Hello and thank you for contacting AaE for help.

I think your plants are enjoying our longer, warmer autumn and they will not be harmed if they should be hit by snow before they turn color. I have a Norway Maple (considered invasive by the Minnesota DNR but it was here when I bought the house and cannot afford to take it down) that doesn't hit peak color until November and has been caught by snowstorms some years while green. It drops all the green leaves immediately when that happens but it is perfectly healthy.

I hope your plants do change soon so that you can enjoy those colors this season.