winterizing garden with hostas

Hello - I've searched the Extension website, but haven't found the answer to this question: What is the best way to winterize a garden that has dozens and dozens of hostas? I moved into a new home in Minneapolis this summer, which has a lovely little city backyard. It consists of a paver patio, wood dining deck with vine covered pergola, three mature trees, and bordering it all, a hosta glade with dozens and dozens and dozens of hostas. At my former property, I'd cut back the specimen hostas and most other perennials in the fall. What should I do with my many hostas this fall? Cut back or leave intact for spring clean-up? Thanks so much for your help!

Hennepin County Minnesota hostas

Either strategy works fine. I tend to clean up the leaves in the fall once they freeze to avoid a mucky mess in the spring. I have grown hostas for over 30 years and either clean up protocol seems to work well. I also have over 100 varieties and have not noticed one way is better than the other in terms of plant survival.

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought of waiting until a few good frosts. The leaves will be smaller and easier to work with. I appreciate the advice available from experts through this website.

The frozen leaves just pull off with a rake. So waiting might make cleanup easier. Thanks for the kind words.