A long time ago I took my children to a parks and wildlife event and the lady...

A long time ago I took my children to a parks and wildlife event and the lady in charge stated that one could tell which type of oak it was based on the main direction the branches went (mostly up, mostly straight out, mostly something else (curly?). I would like to have that information again so I can enjoy recognizing Ohio's oak trees.

Allen County Ohio

Good morning. The overall shape of the tree's canopy can help with the identification in oaks and other trees and shrubs. For example, the growth habit of young and middle-aged pin oaks is characterized by ascending upper branches, horizontal middle branches, and downswept lower branches. This strongly resembles that of Scarlet Oak in its youth, but the upper canopy of Pin Oak is generally not as open and spreading with age as is that of Scarlet Oak.

Other characteristics used to ID trees include: leaves, bark, fruit (in the case of oaks, their acorns), flowers, and buds.

This information and additional information that you would probably find helpful can be found online at: http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/trees

I hope that this information is helpful and the resource provided is useful.