Cherry disease or infestation

Hello, I've included three pictures of a tree in our backyard. It may be a cherry tree. It appears to have numerous lesions where sap is bleeding out and odd 'puffballs' here and there on the branches. There aren't visible pests that I can tell. Are you able to tell what may be the cause? I would love to save it, as the limbs are still alive and green. They still have buds from this spring that never opened. We just purchased the property and I do not know the history of the tree. Thank you!

Prince George's County Maryland fruit peach tree fruit tree fruit tree with cankers dying fruit tree

This appears to be a peach tree, as the 'puffball' is probably a beach so infected with brown rot it is practically unrecognizable.
The numerous bleeding cankers on this tree, including the base of the trunk, make it unsalvagable.
We recommend that you cut it down and replant.
The Grow It Eat It section on our homepage is full of information about growing fruit--tree fruit as well as small fruit like blueberries, blackberries, etc.. Here is a good page to start: https://extension.umd.edu/growit/fruit-profiles/getting-started-tree-fruits