Huge mushrooms where a tree was cut down

Asked October 8, 2017, 8:47 PM EDT

About 6 years ago, I had a 50 ft maple cut down including roots down to 2 ft below surface. The attached huge mushrooms are now growing as well as depressions in the this due to cutting the tree and what kind of mushrooms are these?

Wayne County Michigan

1 Response


I am sorry, but we do not identify mushrooms due to toxicity and health risks.

Here is a link which has resources on Michigan mushrooms. For help with identification contact someone in this organization. He /she may be able to put you in contact with a member who is located near you.

There is no practical way to completely prevent mushrooms. There are thousands of types. Your picture shows types that commonly grow on tree roots and stumps. Tree roots are extensive, spreading wider underground than the tree's leafy canopy did. They can take decades to break down, and the mushrooms you see are the fruiting body of the fungi that break down woody material.

Here is some information on managing mushroom growth---

Small, soft mushrooms - mow or rake them and dispose in the compost pile or garbage. If pets or small children are a concern, sealed in the garbage is the safe way to go. Always assume mushrooms in the lawn/garden are poisonous when consumed. For tough or hard msuhrooms- dig and dispose as above.

Redirect your sprinklers away from already shady, wet areas, and run sprinklers so that the problem area has enough day-time hours to dry before sunset.

If shrubs and trees provide shade to the area, consider pruning them so more sunlight reaches the area, if your perennials there can take more sun, too. If a specific section of lawn has old stumps and roots, dig them out to reduce the woody material on which mushrooms grow. Landscape timbers can be a growing source for mushrooms, too.

Here are some links to discouraging 'nuisance mushrooms' in the yard.

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for using our service.