Treating for Spotted wing drosophila

How and when should I treat my Italian plum tree for Spotted wing drosophila? Is there a spray?

Multnomah County Oregon

Thanks for your question about spotted wing drosophila control. There are insecticides which may be effective against this insect, but, first consider cultural, physical and biological controls. I appreciate that this article is a long one, but understanding this insect's life cycle and things that you can do short of chemicals is important to your tree and the environment. And what you can do right now is to remove all fruit and vegetation from around your tree, and dispose of it in the garbage. (Do not compost!)

In the event the non-chemical control methods failed to curtail the population, you may have to resort to chemicals, but having only one tree makes any approach less of a task. In that case:

"Home-use chemicals include spinosyns, pyrethroids, carbamates, and organophosphates. Some spinosyns are labeled for organic crop production. These chemicals will affect SWD adults but will have no effect on larvae that are developing within, and are protected by, the fruit. Follow the pesticide label for application rates and risks. Do not apply pesticides when bees and other pollinators are present on the plants. Rotate chemical families to avoid resistance."

Hope this information is helpful. Good luck!