brown spider

I found this spider on my lamp this morning. Can you please tell me what kind of spider this is and how to keep them out? I dumped it in the.toilet, i didn't think about saving in a jar until later.

Calhoun County Michigan

That is...was a Grass spider, Agelenopsis sp. (Araneae: Agelenidae).

Grass spiders are common in open fields and around buildings. Like other funnel web spiders, a grass spider constructs a sheet-like web with a funnel or tunnel-like retreat located at one end. Above the sheet, the spider spins an irregular network of silk strands that function to knock down flying insects from air into the sheet below. When the prey lands on the sheet, the spider makes a lightning fast move to capture it. The webs are often constructed in corners of buildings. These spiders are not considered dangerous, but like other large spiders, they will bite in self-defense if handled roughly. They are not often found indoors and usually no special precautions are needed to protect oneself from these spiders.

A sturdy flyswatter or household aerosol insecticides like Raid, will provide swift control of these fast moving spiders if they can be caught out in the open.