tiny insects flying around house plants

I am wondering what the black/brown? insects are that fly around my jade plants. They are extremely small and I am trying to get rid of them. They walk along the top of the soil and fly around the plant and land on it. I used rubbing alcohol to remove some white growth on the leaves but they are still there. How do I get rid of them?

Carver County Minnesota insect management houseplants insect identification horticulture

It is hard to say for sure without seeing them but I would guess that they are probably fungus gnats. They feed on decaying plant material and don't do any harm but can be annoying. Let your plants dry out between watering and remove any plant material that has accumulated on the soil surface. You could also purchase some sticky traps to put in the pots that the insects would get stuck on. They are yellow and usually available in garden centers. Here is a little more info. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/fungus-gnats/