what type of apple

Bought a house in Watertown in 2004, and have an apple tree that has bloomed every year producing apples that are ready in October/November. House was built in 70's so assume tree is that old. I do not know the apple type. The apples alos have little black spots on them, which I assume are a bug. I have been told by the farmers on my road that this trees apples are the best for pies. Can I bring in an apple to the Arboreteum for someone to determine type and how to get rid of bugs next year?

Wright County Minnesota

There really isn't a way to determine what variety an apple is. An apple grower might be able to guess by they way it looks, tastes and when it matures. You could contact a local apple orchard and ask if they might help you. Here is a link with photos that you can compare to the spots on your apples to try to determine what the problem might be. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/fruit/apple/fruitspots/