Linden Greenspire tree

I planted a 15 ft Linden Greenspire Sept. 19, 20016. Over the summer the leaves have appeared
wilted. It is a normal green, but the leaves have appeared wilted most of the summer. I called the nursey
where I bought it and she said I had watered too much. Took the water off and showed no signs of improvement. Not sure what to think as it was an expensive tree and don't want to lose it.

Crook County Wyoming

Wilting leaves are usually an indication of too much water or not enough water, but can also appear if the tree was not planted properly. A couple of common planting mistakes include planting trees too deep or planting a potbound rootball. Both of these problems could cause wilted leaves as well. I can't say which of these issues is causing the problem, just listing some possibilities. Here are some thoughts and maybe you will notice something that stands out to help determine what the actual cause is. Thanks for the question.

Newly planted trees should be watered weekly at first, but 1-2 times a month should be adequate for the first 2 years after planting.

Too much water (or soil with poor drainage) can create a saturated soil environment. Roots need air, just like they need water and air is limited if the soil is saturated.

Trees should be planted to the right depth. At the base of the tree trunk, the roots "flare" out. The root flare should be visible at the soil line.

Circling (potbound) roots caused by too much time in a container may not extend out into the surrounding soil. Roots that continue to grow in a circle eventually start to choke each other out and cause decline in the tree. This is difficult to diagnose without actually digging up the tree.