how to price sale of butchered beef?

I raised a beef to butcher and would like to sell half of it to a friend. How do I figure out how much to charge for it? Is there a formula? Do I just charge what the beef would sell for at the auction yard? Or do I use hanging weight?

Grant County Oregon beef cattle

To figure out what to charge I would recommend going on Craigslist to the farm and garden section and there are usually several listings with prices that will give you an idea of what folks are charging. You can also google grass finished beef for sale and a variety of ranches will come up with price lists for their beef if you dig into their websites.

Almost everyone I know of charges by the hanging weight. Additionally, there are laws regulating the sale of beef. If you email me I can send you more information on rules and regulations for sale of beef direct to another consumer.

Finally, if you sell it for the auction yard price it will be at quite a discounted price from what people are getting through direct sales.

Hope this helps. My email: scott.duggan@oregonstate.edu.

Take care,