Lawn Alternatives

I have a lawn that is a mess -- roots, grass, moss, weeds and a volunteer which some have said is thyme. There is a maple tree as well. I want a lawn that is maintenance free -- I will not water it and don't want to have to mow it either. I am not a gardener and don't want bushes. I have overgrown rhodies on one side and the driveway directly opposite. I want to be green (no chemicals) and a good neighbor so the property looks decent and doesn't send out baby weeds. Is clover a good option? I ave no clue what to do. Please advise. Thanks for any help you can give.

Multnomah County Oregon lawn alternatives

Thanks for your question about an 'alternative lawn.' We have lots of resources for folks who want to 'dump the lawn' and find attractive alternatives that don't require care, don't need chemicals and have benefits for the insects and 'critters' that we live among. First, here's a link to a brief Metro article, which discusses alternatives and clover, specifically. Second, here's a link to a question and answer on the subject in this forum with suggestions (through the linked publications) to native plants that meet your requirements. Finally, here's a link to a Metro publication with descriptions, photos and plants, including their water and sun needs, as well as the native insects and animals whose existence they support.

If this doesn't provide enough suggestions for you, please write back and I'll track down some more! Good luck!