Getting started in Hay and pasture management

I have recently purchased a 35 acre farm in Linn County. 28 acres are currently in row crop, corn/soybean rotation, currently in corn and crop shared and farmed by a local farmer. I am looking to add horses to the property and convert a good portion of these tillable acres to pasture and hay production. I have another 40 acre property all in CRP and have planted and maintained 1-3 acres clover plots for food plots. I considered this practice plots for getting started creating larger pasture and hay fields. However, I admit I really don't know what I am doing and looking for some help getting my new property setup the correct way. Is this something the extension service can help me with or at least point me in a direction to get some assistance getting started? Thank you.

Linn County Iowa

yes, the Extension Service can help with these questions! While I am not the expert in these areas (a working knowledge but not the "big dog" expert!)
Following are 3 links to publications on the topic.

Steps to establish and maintain legume-grass pastures

Selecting forage species

Fertilizing pasture

The "really big dog" seeding expert that can help you is
Meaghan Anderson
319-337-2145
mjanders@iastate.edu

Meaghan is the ISU Extension Field Agronomist that covers Linn County. I am sure she can provide the assistance you need.