Yellow jackets are in the wall cavity of my house. Occasionally, I can hear...

Yellow jackets are in the wall cavity of my house. Occasionally, I can hear them through the wall/ceiling at night when I am inside. I have located their entrance and used a wasp and hornet spray, but I think the nest is beyond the reach of the spray. Online research says to wait for a hard frost to take kill them off. Is that the best way to deal with this problem?

Ottawa County Ohio

Yes, at this point in the year, I would just wait on the frost to kill them off. They almost always locate to a new nesting location the next year anyway. The wasp and hornet sprays are a contact only spray. the workers will die that get exposed to it but they do not make it back to the nest to carry the poison to the queen or others. powdered sevin dust will work much better as they carry it in and it has more long term effect, but still will not always wipe out a colony. Unfortunately, professional exterminators are about the only surefire way to take care of a house cavity nest, but again, with freezing temps within weeks, I would wait it out as long as no major issues have occured such as young kids with repeated stings, etc.