Please Identify Fungus & advise if it's indicative of White Oak Tree dying?

Asked September 27, 2017, 11:21 AM EDT

In my garden, I found this rosette-shaped bright orange & white mushroom growing on the ground about a foot away from the base of my white oak tree. I think it's growing on the roots of the white oak tree. The tree looks healthy & leaves are green. Tree is about 18 feet in height & 4-5 inches in diameter. Could you possibly identify the mushroom? I think it might be Laetiporus cincinnatus (Chicken of the woods)? The mushroom is quite impressive and artsy (12 inches by 12 inches), would you agree that it's likely indicative of the white oak tree roots rotting -- and the tree dying? Is there anything to be done to protect the tree -- keep it from dying? Thanks.

Hennepin County Minnesota chicken of the woods mushroom

1 Response

Your beautiful mushroom is a chicken of the woods, and edible. It is recommended that you try a little first before consuming a lot, to see if it bothers you. Here is a link with photos and good info to compare. They are found on live or dead oaks but usually it is an indicator of a dying tree. I would consider contacting a certified arborist to see if there is anything that can be done for the tree. Make sure they are certified. http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/chicken-of-the-woods.html#sthash.jlxwALv9.dpbs . http://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist