"cook until clear"

I would like to know how to interpret recipe directions stating "cook until clear." I have an old family recipe for green tomato mincemeat which specifies this. It makes no sense to me, as the spices used (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg) darken the fruit mixture. I've boiled and stirred for anywhere from 1-1/2 hours for a 1/2 recipe to 2-1/2 hours for a full recipe. I never get to a "clear" stage - the juice thickens and remains dark. I freeze the mincemeat rather than canning it. I want to be sure I have cooked the mincemeat long enough. Thank you. Judy Woods

Washington County Oregon food safety food preparation

What is usually means is that the liquid becomes shiny rather than cloudy looking. I am not sure what is in your recipe but know that is how old time recipes were written. If you are going to freeze it would not be a safety issue how long you cook it. If your recipe does not have meat in it just green tomatoes and spices plus green apples and raisins you might like to try the one we have at Extension. It is easy to make and very tasty. You can can it in a boiling water canner. Go to the OSU Food Preservation website and download SP50-920 Preserving tomatoes.

http:/extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/food-preservation.

If you have other food preservation questions you might like to call the OSU Extension Food Preservation Hotline open M-F from 9 am-4 pm. Certified Master Food Preservers are available to answer your questions. Number is 1-800-354-7319. The hotline will be staffed until mid October.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler