Hibiscus attacked

What a strange summer this was! My hibiscus was attacked by a never seen insect with the holes the only evidence. I tried a butterfly garden compatible 3 in 1 spray to no avail. It never jumped to the adjacent anemones or any other plant. She valiantly bloomed throughtout but now is a sad, holey stalk. Will it come back and what can I do next year?

Montgomery County Maryland trees and shrubs insect issues hibiscus sawfly

It looks like your hibiscus has damage from hibiscus sawflies. Look carefully at the undersides of the leaves to see if you find any tiny, caterpillar-like insects. You may need a hand lens to see them. The following page on our website has information about sawflies and what you can do. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/sawflies-flowers Leaves should come back next year, but sawflies are a common pest of hibiscus. Check the leaves periodically for signs of chewing. Apply horticultural oil according to the label instructions.

ckc