Asked September 21, 2017, 7:06 PM EDT

My mom spotted a few of these in her yard. In the sun they looked orange. When I took the pic this is how it turned out (my camera isnt the best). My question is what kind and dangerous or not.

Pendleton County Kentucky

2 Responses


Thank you for sharing the photo of your mushroom. Unfortunately the photo is not enough to go on for positive identification and I am not a licensed mycologist.
There are many mushrooms that are making their appearance at this time of year and especially with our recent weather conditions. It is best to only ingest mushrooms that are purchased from a reputable source, with that said, we always act on the side of precaution with mushroom safety due to how many types there are and how similar they are in appearance.
I would be happy to take a closer look if you desire to bring the sample into our office. For more information on identifying mushrooms, please refer to this publication from Penn State.

Thank you for your response. I was just worried if my 3 and 4 year olds were to get ahold of them if they would hurt them or not. Just for safety ill remove them just in case. Thank you.