Donald Reimer

Question concerning Fusarium Wilt with tomatoes. I understand there is three variations of Fusarium Wilt: F – Fusarium Wilt (Race 1), FF – Fusarium Wilt (Race 2), and FFF – Fusarium Wilt (Race 3). My question is that when a tomato variety is resistant to FF, does that mean it is resistant to F – Fusarium Wilt (Race 2) only, or does that mean it is resistant to F – Fusarium Wilt (Race 1 and Race 2) ? My second question is that when a tomato variety is resistant to FFF, does that mean it is resistant to F – Fusarium Wilt (Race 3) only, or does that mean it is resistant to F – Fusarium Wilt (Race 1, Race 2, and Race 3) ? I searched the internet and it is quite confusing, but this is what I found: F – Fusarium Wilt (Race 1): Race 1 is the most widely found throughout the United States, especially in warm regions of the country. FF – Fusarium Wilt (Race 2): Race 2 is found in Arkansas, Florida, New Jersey, and Ohio FFF – Fusarium Wilt (Race 3): Race 3 is found in California, Florida, North Carolina, and South Carolina Thank you for your time and assistance in this matter.

Calvert County Maryland fruits and vegetables disease issues vegetables tomatoes

We checked with the University of Maryland vegetable pathologist about your questions. Resistance to one race of Fusarium wilt does not confer resistance to another race, so there is no guarantee that a cultivar that is resistant to one race has resistance to another. A good source to look at cultivars and their reported resistance is

Note that most of the cultivars that are listed as resistant to race 3 are also resistant to races 1 and 2 (but not all). Many cultivars are resistant to race 1 but not 2, or resistant to race 2 but not 1. In addition, not all cultivars are listed.

To give a little background on tomato Fusarium wilt, there have been no recent efforts to identify the races we have in Maryland. Our pathologist has not had a complaint about Fusarium on tomato for many years (maybe 10?). So we can't say definitely that race 3 isn't here, but we don't have reason to suspect that it is.
That said, races can be spread by transplants, so if you use tomato transplants, it is a possibility.

ckc

Thanks for the link to the disease charts.

Can you have them correct the peppers (hot) link? They are both the same spreadsheet (jalapeno)

Thanks

Donald Reimer