Fungus

Hello. I have one section on my property where a fungus appears at the end of the season. I have lived in Bowie, MD for 3 years. The black spots appear on the leaves of Lilly of the Valley every year since I moved to Bowie. For the first time this year, black spots are on the hydrangeas, which are planted next to the Lilly of the Valley. My question is. If I transplant the hydrangeas to another part of my yard, which is fungus free, am I spreading the fungus to that part of the yard? In the spring of 2018, I hope to spray a fungicide in this area when the Lilly of the Valley start to sprout. Thank you.

Prince George's County Maryland hydrangea leaf spots lily of the valley shrub

Hydrangeas are prone to diseases such as powdery mildew or multiple fungal leaf spots later in the season, but they are generally nothing to be too concerned about and do not kill the plant. We do not recommend a chemical control. You can transplant but if there are fungal spores in the area and conditions are right this may not solve the problem. Hydrangeas in general grow best in morning sun and afternoon shade in a well drained soil with good air circulation.

Lily of the valley Lily of the Valley are one of the earlier perennials to tire out and look ratty each year. They often get fungal leaf diseases as they are headed into dormancy. We don't recommend treatment, but suggest that you rake up and dispose of the dry, dead leaves to reduce the pathogens in the area for next year.