Questions about Goats/Donkeys/Mules

Hello, I was told that your team are the go to experts for all questions related to agriculture and wanted to ask a few different questions before diving headfirst into an investment. My wife and I recently purchased property in Scott County (just outside of Stamping Ground) and were considering getting some livestock as a way of maintaining the land/providing some type of vector control (by eating away the weeds/grass where vectors are likely to proliferate). We've never owned any farm animals and recently learned of some folks that were looking to find a new home for their pet goats (4 in total, 3 castrated males, and one female who is the mother of one of the three males). The terrain has a fairly dense thicket/briars and there is ample land for browsing/grazing (the bigger paddock is roughly 4 acres or a little larger). So, we were wondering if there are any cost/price ranges for keeping goats healthy that you could share (e.g., vaccines, deworming, etc...) as well as some idea of about how much time it would take to maintain the goats (e.g., aside from their hooves if there is anything else they need to stay healthy)? We were also told that we would need either a protection/herding dog or another animal to help keep coyotes away like a donkey or a mule. We've tried to search online a bit, but haven't had much luck finding places where we could purchase a donkey but figured you might have some advise on how to find livestock for sale as well.

Scott County Kentucky agriculture animal science scott county kentucky

Hello. Thank you for your question. Please contact the Scott County Agriculture Extension Agent for assistance. I have included the contact information below.

Michelle M Simon
Extension Agent
Scott Cooperative Extension Office
1130 Cincinnati Road
Georgetown
KY
40324-8931
(502) 863-0984

I'm happy to help trouble shoot as far as decisions for clearing the land- depending on the whole farm plan there might be other options other than utilizing livestock especially since we are going into winter and additional feed/ forage will be needed.

Feel free to call or stop in and we can discuss this further. Thanks!
502-863-0984