Picture for previous sauerkraut question

I asked a question about my sauerkraut, but did not attach a picture. The kraut I made is in 1/2 pint jars and I did not have enough liquid to fill the jars. I just went ahead and canned it with 1/3 to 1/2 juice in the jars. Is this ok?

Marion County Oregon food safety home food preservation

It is not recommended to can products without adequate liquid because the heat penetration would not be the same so the internal temperature of the jar would be different so there is no guarantee that the processing time would be safe. If it was within 24 hours I would recommend opening the jars and add brine (1 1/2 Tablespoons salt per quart of water). This is the same salt concentration that would be in your kraut. You could then reprocess your jars. Your kraut will also probably be quite dry without liquid.

If you have other food preservation questions you might like to call the OSU Food Preservation/safety Hotline, open M-F 9 am-4 pm until Mid October. Certified Master Food Preservers are available to answer your questions. The number is 1-800-354-7319.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler