carpet beatles...will they ever go away

I have had carpet beatles for the past few years and find the larvae or shells unfortunately on a regular basis and I have read for years about sanitation and proper storage yet still am upset on a regular basis when I pull out a shirt and it has holes in it. I live in an old 1800's apartment with lots of nooks and crannies but think I do a good job cleaning. I have tried lavender and cedar chests and crazy vacuuming and it really seems like it is an impossible situation. So my question is- when cleaning is not enough is there a professional bug spray or extermination tool that I can take advantage of? Thank you in advance.

Harford County Maryland pest control carpet beetles

You can call a professional and they may do some crack and crevice sprays for carpet beetles.

However, we recommend vacuuming and cleaning. The adult beetles do not do the damage, it is the larval stage. Carpet beetle larvae can crawl from place to place but are usually found in concealed locations along baseboards, under large pieces of furniture, or in little-used drawers or storage areas. You will have to inspect all old blankets, woolens, etc. not in use for infestations and keep cleaned. Once everything is clean or dry cleaned you can store clothes in space bags.

Clean susceptible areas in your home often to prevent lint and hair from accumulating. Give close attention to: woolen rugs and carpets, wool wall hangings and tapestries, upholstered furniture with wool, closets, baseboards, behind furniture, etc. If you have wool carpets, vacuum underneath and the back of the carpet. In addition to cleaning woolen rugs and carpets frequently, it is advisable to rotate them occasionally.

After using the vacuum, dispose of the bag contents promptly; they may include eggs, larvae, or adult insects. In addition to cleaning woolen rugs and carpets frequently, it is advisable to rotate them occasionally.
Please see our website and publication for detailed information.
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/carpet-beetles