Weed ID

I have a weed growing in my pastures that is in peak bloom now with dark green, broad leaves and small lavender flowers on spikelets. It about 2.5 - 3 ft at max.height and has a very strong smell similar to camphor and my goats will not touch it. Could you please identify this for me as it is slowly taking over my pastures. Please see my attached photos. Have a great day! Jeff L.

Howard County Maryland plant identification weed pasture plants

This looks like Beefsteak plant, also known as Perilla (Perilla frutescens). It is a native of Asia, and is a member of the Mint family, and as such will have square stems. It is a traditional Asian crop used in cooking, but has become an invasive herbaceous annual weed found in Maryland. Keep it mowed to reduce it going to seed.

We suggest contacting an Extension specialist Andy Kness, who helps with pasture management for how to handle it.
His contacts: akness@umd.edu or 410- 638-3255