Processing Hall's almonds

We have a very prolific Hall's almond tree, but I am concerned about eating the almonds. Can the almonds of a Hall's almond tree be eaten? If so, do we need to heat treat them first? I have not been able to find instructions for processing bitter almonds so that they are safe to eat. I would appreciate specific instructions. Thank you!

Jackson County Oregon nuts tree nuts almond hardy almond bitter almond

Thank you for your question about consuming and processing Hall's hardy or bitter almonds. At this time we do not have an eXpert in the system for this topic. However, please consult a previous answer below. We hope this helps.

https://ask.extension.org/expert/questions/371505:

Almond extract and almond paste are made from bitter almonds but that is done using a commercial process.

The California Almond Board was contacted and they said that they don't know of a safe food process for the public to use to make bitter almonds safe for consumption at home.

-Tammy Roberts

Posted 11 months ago

I have searched for any updates to the information in the answer of 11 months ago and I must concur. It is unsafe to consume bitter almonds in an unprocessed state or in any home processed state. Almonds contain Amygdalin, cynaogenic diglucoside (as in cyanide). Bitter almonds contain nearly 400 times the amygdalin concentration of sweet almonds according to the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. Please do not consume bitter almonds.

Thank you for your time. Is there a sweet and/or edible almond that you would recommend for successful growing in Ashland, OR?

Hi Tammy, doing some research about this. I have sent off a request for some resources and will get back to you as soon as I have something to share.