Sand in chicken runs

One of my 4-H members asked this question:
What are the official opinions are about using sand in a chicken run? I've read many opinions on it but there don't seem to be any real studies compared to studies on deep litter method. Plus, many of the opinions blame sand for pre-existing things like bad drainage. It's been hard to find anything substantial. Our county has many home flocks so this is a very relevant question for us.

Westchester County New York poultry

I'm not sure what you mean by 'official' opinion. I'm sure there are many different opinions. You indicated in the 'run' but talk about deep litter method so I assume you mean inside the poultry house. The Auburn University has done years of research with sand as bedding material and they recommend it.
I know backyard flock owners who have used the sand in their runs. They rack out the fecal material periodically. Don't see why that would be a problem unless the place floods periodically.