Blue Spruce with dying branches

I have a 35' blue spruce in my front yard that has random branches that have died. The branches are in various locations throughout the tree. Any ideas on what is going on? Or any recommendations on an arborist to come and diagnose the problem? Thank you!

Hennepin County Minnesota tree health dieback on evergreens blue spruce

Thank you for the question. While much of your tree still looks lovely, the dead branches with no needles are of concern. Unfortunately, I can't tell from the photos which problem because the tree needs to be examined very closely, but I can point you in the direction of more information and how to hire a certified arborist.

Your tree may be suffering from a fungal disease and to differentiate between the most common problems, you will need to look at the trunk, branches, and needles very closely and even use a hand lens to identify problems. This link should get you started:

We can't refer you to a specific arborist but our publication on how to hire a certified arborist will tell what to look for and where to look: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/how-to-hire-a-professional-arborist/

Thank you for contacting Extension.