What tree to plant re: Asian beetles & veritcal root system

I live in Crystal, MN. Looking to plant a tree in the front yard to replace sapling that was destroyed by Asian beetles this past year. I (and several neighbors) now have Asian beetle traps in place to help reduce the problem. When I look at list of shade trees that are good against the beetles and do well in mostly sun areas, the two main ones that come up are Red Maple and Northern Red Oak. However, both of these trees appear to have root systems that expand horizontally across the yard. Are there any trees that would work: 1) in my type of soil (Crystal, MN) 2) resistent to Asian beetles 3) full sun for most of day 4) have a root system that grows more vertically rather than horizontally so I won't have roots breaking through the lawn? Thank you. Email is brenda.fortier@aonhewitt.com or phone number is 952-807-0814.

Hennepin County Minnesota

All shade trees have roots that grow horizontally (parallel to the soil surface) and as the roots mature those of almost any species may protrude above ground and become a nuisance or hazard. However, as you noted, some species such as maples and willows are more likely to develop protruding roots than others.

Because there is no obvious choice that meets all of your specifications, we recommend choosing species that grow well in clay soil and are not preferred by Japanese beetles such as honeylocust, hackberry, ginkgo, bur oak, swamp white oak, Kentucky coffeetree and shagbark hickory. Slow growing species are preferred because it will take longer for their roots to expand enough to protrude. Also remember that any soil erosion over the tree's root system will accelerate the process.