Food plots

Asked September 13, 2017, 10:27 PM EDT

How and where do I send a soil sample for my food plots? I have three different plots on a 60 acre parcel, should I send a soil sample for each plot? I guess I'm asking is there a special kit or do I just send dirt in a bag and how much do you need for a sample? Please include an address. Thank you.

Bay County Michigan soil testing food plot

1 Response

The MSUE soil lab has two different types of soil test kits. One is a self-mailer for homeowners and the other is a box for farm/acreage which includes large parcel food plots. You should be able to pick up a soil test box and form at your local Extension office. You need to send the box with the form to the MSU Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab. If the 3 parcels are not immediately adjacent to one another, I would recommend 3 separate tests, especially if you plan to plant different food sources. If your local office does not have the soil test boxes available then according to the Soil and Plant Nutrient website:

Soil Test for Field / Crops

Fill out information sheet Field / Crop Soil (pdf) and send along with your sample to

MSU Soil Plant Nutrient Lab
1066 Bogue St. Rm A81
East Lansing, MI 48824.

You can submit a sample directly to the lab, by enclosing approximately two cups of soil in a zip type sandwich bag.

Enclose a check made out to MSU for $12.00 per sample (Standard Test).
For Questions about Field / Crop results, go to

The submittal form is at:

The code for wildlife forage - Legume is 172

the code for wildlife forage - Brassica is 173

If you need more information, here is a link to the Soil Lab website: