Pine Bark Beetles

My property in South Minneapolis has a red pine in the front yard. The pine's trunk has small holes in the bark, pointing to bark beetle infestation. Is bark beetle infestation treatable in a residential area? Can you potentially save a pine tree from the infestation? Or is the only option to cut the pine down? How long can the tree live before it becomes a danger? Can you plant another tree after it's been removed or will the beetles just eat the new tree? I don't want to cut the tree down, it's so beautiful. Thanks for your help. Ernestine

Hennepin County Minnesota

Hello and thank you for contacting AaE for help.

First I would ask you how do you know you have a pine bark beetle infestation?

If this is the assessment of a professional tree care expert, my apologies. Send a reply and I'll address your question. If not, I'd like to see a picture of the signs on the tree's bark that indicate some sort of borer, the size of the hole and a picture of the entire tree with the canopy in view so I can see how extensively the canopy is affected.

I hope this will help.