morning glories with unusual "feathers"

Hello, I recently noticed that one of my morning glory plants (they have been self-propagating for years) has a "feathery" set of extra leaves around the bottom. I have never seen this before. I have attached several pictures. I am curious if you know more about this or have ever seen this before? I plan on saving as many seeds as possible from this plant to see if this happens again. Thank you for any help or insight! ~Frauke Johnson

Ramsey County Minnesota fasciation morning glories horticulture

Thank you for the question. I'm going to ask other experts to help with your question because I'm not sure what is causing the morning glory flowers to look like this. Would you mind sending photos of the entire plant so that we can see the leaves as well? If any of the leaves look abnormal, a closeup of that would be appreciated as well.

Unfortunately, this plant is in the middle of a bunch of hostas, but I got pictures of a few leaves. Also, it was pretty limp when I got home today; I had not watered it in some time. Usually the leaves are perky like a normal morning glory.

Several Experts think your morning glories may be exhibiting a sort of mysterious process called "fasciation". Read more here:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/plants_with_abnormal_growths_the_interesting_phenomenon_of_plant_fasciation

It's probably not a virus because the leaves look fine. Other options are herbicide damage or insect or cold damage to the bud as it was forming.

Thank you for contacting Extension.