Flies

I have soooo many flies in my garden this year ..more than ever. Garbage still well protected, neighbors good, no dead bodies... so why and how to discourage them or exterminate them. Medium sized blackish flies..

Multnomah County Oregon insect issues horticulture

Unfortunately, a number of flies fit the description of "Medium sized blackish flies."

What are they doing? If flying in endless circles, this is a normal feature of late summer. There's no way to get rid of them, although you could try a fly swatter or sticky fly paper.

The best way to identify what they are is to capture several and take them to the Multnomah County Master Gardener office in Montgomery Park, 2701 NW Vaughn St. Suite 450, Portland, OR 97210. Phone 503-445-4608. Hours are 10 AM to 2 PM, Monday through Friday, closed holidays.
Or, if you can get well-focused close-up images, email them to mcmastergardeners@yahoo.com