Holly tree blues

Hi,

I have two beautiful Blue Maid Holly trees, (at least I think that's what they are). They are three years old and are now about seven feet tall.

Recently one of them has started to drop all its leaves and the leaves remaining appear to have lost their shine and have dark brown spots on them. I'm afraid it's going to die. I have cared for them carefully adding hollytone as directed. We had a very wet spring and early summer and then a lot of heat. They are shaded. Help, I love my trees,can I save the one that's sick

Any help you can give me is much appreciated.

Victoria Furey

Talbot County Maryland shrubs holly leaf drop

Please send us photos of the shrubs so we can see what you may be dealing with. Send photos of the whole plant, around the base, and affected leaves/branches.

This sound like a root problem. Check around the base of the plant for excessive mulch, voles http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/voles, poor drainage, etc.